This week Bishop Dunne High School marks 50 years of academic excellence and service to the Church and the community. In 1961 Our Lady of Good Counsel Academy established by the Sisters of St. Mary in 1902, merged into the first of several new diocesan high schools. The new school in a new facility built with funds from a diocese-wide campaign, became a diocesan high school. Two years later the name would be changed to honor Bishop Edward Joseph Dunne, second Bishop of Dallas.
Over the past five decades Bishop Dunne has evolved into one of the leading educational institutions in North Texas, setting the pace for technological innovation. Dunne students no longer use printed textbooks. Their texts are all online and accessed by their individual laptop computers.
Honors have come to the school for its sponsorship of the annual Geo-Tech Conference and introduction of classes in GIS, a computerized mapping system and ECONnections, a business course using the Internet. Such cutting-edge technology gives Dunne students a great advantage in our techno-centric society.
A tradition of academic excellence is attested to by the fact that for over a decade 100 percent of Dunne graduates have been accepted by colleges around the country. Bishop Dunne has also expanded into a junior and senior high school with the establishment of sixth, seventh and eighth grade classes. The physical plant has been enlarged and updated.
Such accomplishments are not only a tribute to the current administration and teachers but the long line of lay and religious educators beginning with the Brothers of the Sacred Heart and the Sisters of St. Mary, whose legacy is reflected in the present institution.
This post is also available in/Esta entrada también está disponible en: Inglés